Poth Elementary School
School Dress Code Policy
Poth Elementary believes that school performance and future success are enhanced by appropriate dress and good grooming. The school’s dress code is established to teach grooming and hygiene, prevent disruption, and minimize safety hazards.
Parents are strongly encouraged to work closely with the school to enforce the school dress code policy. Parents will be serving the welfare of our students, helping us as educators by emphasizing standards of neatness, cleanliness, safety, decency in dress, and grooming. The Dress Code is in effect for students while attending school functions or school sponsored activities on or off school property.
1. Apparel that is too tight or too short will not be allowed. The chest area and the mid-section of the body must be completely covered. When students wear skirts, dresses, or jumpers, they are expected to be at least finger tip in length when the student is standing. Students are to wear shorts under dresses and skirts.
2. Students are expected to wear clothing that is non-transparent and contain appropriate pictures, graphics and language for the school environment.
3. Students are expected to wear a shirt with sleeves or a sleeveless shirt that comes to the edge of the shoulder. (Spaghetti straps and razor back shirts are not allowed unless covered at all times.)
4. Shoes must be worn at all times; house shoes are not permitted. Tennis shoes must be worn in physical education classes. Shoes with wheels are not allowed.
5. We discourage students from wearing flip-flops/slides as these types of shoes can pose a hazard on the playground.
6. Hairstyles or unnatural hair colors (blue, green, pink, etc.) that, in the judgement of the school administrator, cause a disruption of the educational environment for the child or for others are not allowed.
7. Students are expected to remove caps, hats and hoods in the building.
While it is inevitable that there will be differences of opinion as to the appropriateness of dress, grooming, and/or determining whether or not a student’s attire is disruptive or distracting to the educational environment of the school, the final determination will be made by the campus administration. Parents will be contacted if necessary and requested to bring a change of clothing so that the student will be in compliance with the dress code.
This Dress Code is specific to Poth Elementary and does not reflect expectations at Poth Junior High or Poth High School. Please refer to the PJH and PHS Student/Parent Handbooks for clarification of expectations of dress and grooming for students at those campuses.